Saturday, October 1, 2011

Week 3 of 535

When looking back on this week, we did a few things. First, we read a chapter on RSS feeds and set up our own. For my RSS feed I choose a few different things to follow. First, I decided to look into different news topics. I really like local news and what is going on around where I live. I choose to follow Fox Six News and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I also choose to add US Weekly into my News tag. I thought US Weekly might add a fun spin to my news. However, I do not think it will last long. There are many times I get sick of reading about celebrities.

Another RSS feed tag I made was technology. In my technology part, I put in Engadget. I learned about Engadget from my boyfriend. He is always reading it, looking up information on things, and recommends Engadget himself. Another blog I added was CNET news. This is another place where you can get a lot of information on new technology things coming out.

The last and final blogs I added was all of my classmates. After seeing in class that I could read and look at every one's blog at once, I thought this would simplify my life. I currently open every one's blog in a different tab and look to see if they have a new blog posted that I could comment on.

As a teacher there are many uses for an RSS reader. For example, you can stay up to date on some of the most current topics. If you teach science you can read about new discoveries, old discoveries that have changed, and all other science topics. One of the best careers I could think of would be if you were a Social Studies teacher. There are many new topics in the news every day about how countries are changing, interacting with each other, and always changing history. An RSS reader would help narrow down what you need to read and save you time.

This week we also did a Flickr account. I think that parents might really like to see picture of their students working. One idea for a Flickr account would be to have pictures of the students posted once a month or as often as every week. Parents and students can come look at the Flickr page and then print or save pictures. This is one way to use a Flickr. Another idea is students could take pictures of where they see math being used in their daily life. We can then put all the pictures together and just see how often math is used.

Finally, we looked at Google Sites. I have thought of making a website for my students. I have started to make one. However, I found it to be a lot of work to keep track of the website, the online grade book, and other things we have to constantly keep updated for parents. My school is currently in the process of updating our website. The new website will give each teacher a page. On this page will be a calendar, place for homework, and even a place where we can put documents for the students or they can turn things in. I think this will be an exciting change. However, I am not sure how soon (weeks or months) away this website is.

3 comments:

  1. I see that you subscribed to Fox 6 in Milwaukee. I'm just curious, did you happen to see a story about a boy with cancer and his mother who got her head shaved on Fox 6 last week? If so, that was one of my students. He got bone cancer last year and was at the Children's hospital for a long time and was able to over come his cancer. His mom got her hair shaved live on Fox 6 in support for cancer fundraising. It was pretty cool! RSS feeds are really cool, aren't they? I'm happy that we investigated this tool this week in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a lot of Fox 6 connections here - I did some freelance work there as a TV news producer in 2008-09.
    Have you thought of any ways to use RSS feeds with your math classes? In thinking about classroom applications, I thought math would be a challenge for this particular tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice... I'll need to pick your brain during our next group meeting about how to set up the RSS for all of our blogs, that sounds great. I am hoping to find some more RSS feeds that will translate to my current occupation.

    ReplyDelete