Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 2 of 535

What did we do this week that you can apply in your school or job and how might you use it?

This week we focused on Blogs, Wikis, and are beginning to look at photo sharing and social media. After my blog last week, I have a new idea given to me by some of my classmates. I could have my student’s blog and research different careers that involve math. If they all read each other’s and comment, in the end they will see how much math is in virtually every job. They may also see the importance of math in their life. I really like this idea. I have thought many times about having my student see the importance of math. However, when rethinking it over, I think I would like to do it in a Wiki format. Each student could post their own job by making their own page. When doing this, we will have a list of jobs. Each student could also enhance their own page to include graphics, links to things they found important, or ever just personalize it their way. Another idea I thought of a Wiki would be for a class website. Somewhere they can see the homework, leave questions about homework, write to me about a struggle they are having. By writing about a struggle, maybe another student could get back to them sooner than I do. This will increase collaboration. However, in my school we have a place to post homework, leave comments, and the kids typically will e-mail me about concerns. To me making a Wiki might be double work for me. In 2 weeks our school is getting a new website with the capabilities to post homework (so the kids can download it if they forgot it at school), post homework, and make our own class page. I think this will be like a Wiki. I am excited to see it and see what capabilities it really does have.

3 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    I really like that you are finding ways to integrate what we are learning in your math classroom. The idea of using a wiki with your math classes is great--so many students have questions they might not feel comfortable asking in the classroom setting, but being able to post them on a wiki might help bring some of those kids out of their shells.
    I know you are concerned about duplicating work due to already having a place to post assignments. Is there a way you could create a link to that site, rather than re-entering it on your wiki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see wikis working better than blogging for your math curriculum. Let us know how the new website and class page work out. Looks like you will have plenty of opportunity to test of some of the tools that we've been learning about in this cohort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered having students post what happened during the class and have others refine each day? How could this be useful in your class?

    ReplyDelete