Saturday, September 17, 2011
Week 1 of 535
For me I have a hard time always applying things to math. However, I feel like if I taught reading and writing I would have many opportunities. Some of the things we read this week did help to make me think about math. One of the articles talked about how to use a blog as a place where students can look for notes that they made together in class. Ideally by the end of the year, they would have a guide to the whole year of math. Another idea was to have students collect photos of math things. In the article, the guy took pictures of numbers, but by having them take pictures of math things, they can share them with one another. This will open their minds to how important math really is and how it all around you at all times. These are only a few ideas and I am desperately in need of help and ideas to make blogging a part of my math class. We already have an online grade-book, calendar, and place to post homework. Please leave ideas and recommendations for math. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that math would be a more difficult subject to incorporate blogging into. What if you had the students start off journaling and gradually move them into more of a blogging format. They could state their opinions or offer ways that they figured out a problem. They would also be able to reflect on each other’s ideas and thoughts helping and leaning on each other. My school is constantly stressing, writing across the curriculum – this could be your way of helping to increase their writing skills along with giving them a voice.
ReplyDeleteYou could also use blogging with big projects. Have the students design a project that incorporates a math skill that they are working on. They could blog about their idea for the project before they start, during the project, and how the project concluded. This would allow peer feedback to stretch their thinking and encourage them to do great work. If they need help, the students could help each other and not need you (the teacher) as much. You could also have students take pictures along the way to use on their blog, helping the audience connect to the project
Cryssi - Maybe you could have them talk about how they use math in their everyday lives, i.e. at home, at work. Also, I had my mom for a teachr in grade school and she used to challenge us to find a job that didn't require math. You could choose different jobs and careers and have your students discuss how math would be used in those areas.
ReplyDeleteHave you looked at "Classroom Blogs for the Mathematics Teacher"? It is at http://futureofmath.misterteacher.com/classroom_blogs.html
ReplyDeleteCrystal, I had been thinking the same thing about blogging in a Physics curriculum. I'm guessing that lab reports and things like that could be a good starting point. I liked Emily's comment about trying to incorporate math (or physics, in my case) into their everyday lives.
ReplyDeleteThank you for all the suggestions! I am taking them into consideration when looking into what to do with my students! They are all so helpful!!
ReplyDelete