Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 5 of 535

This week we had a lot of work to do online. This was not convenient for me as I was out of town at a weeding 6 hours away. This made me have to work really hard at any free moment I had. I wish that the car had wireless internet.

First thing we had to do this week was to finish reading the book. I enjoyed chapter 9 because it gave examples of how to use Facebook in the classroom. I agree very much so that Facebook is not a place to be friends with students, but could be used on an educational level. Before this chapter I would say no way do I need or have a place for Facebook in my classroom. However, now I can see some benefits of having it.

The next things we had to do this week was to explore a Web 2.0 product. I looked on Google for an idea. I felt overwhelmed by having so many options to choose from. I finally decided on Scratch. (scratch.mit.edu) This is a website where students can create and share their own interactive story, music, art, or games. I watched many of the videos on this website. They all seem to be made by students for students. There are also many games and other things on this website that are not school related.

The third thing we had to do this week was to complete our website. I am glad that we had to finish this. I have started making a website many times before, but being forced to finish one, made me make sure I had it done nicely and done the way I wanted it done. I am so excited to attach documents and homework to the website. Many times students say, I lost the worksheet or I need another copy. From now on, I can send them to the website and have them print it off themselves. I can also tell them there is no excuse for not having in school since they can print it at home too.

Finally we had to share a folder of all of our work. This was really easy for me. From the beginning of this program, I decided to keep all my papers organized. I keep them all in their own folder and labeled according to the class name. For this, all I had to do was share my folder. I think staying organized is something I am good at.

2 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    I also liked chapter 9 as it spoke to some new ways to use Facebook, other than the obvious...and introduced me to Ning, which I found to be pretty interesting as an option for social networking in an educational setting. Now that you've learned more about these tools, do you see yourself using them or even being able to use them in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    I too liked the idea of Facebook in the classroom. Like you I was skeptical about the use of Facebook in the classroom because I didn't want my students to think that they would be "friends" with me and break that professional barrier. Have you decided how and if you'll implement Facebook in your environment?

    ReplyDelete