On Friday I had a Takbox sesion with my classmates. I struggled to figure out why my video would not work. However, one of my classmates made a suggestion as to how I might be able to fix my video. I had to sign out of TokBox and my e-mail. I then signed back into just TakBox. The problem seemed to be that my e-mail grabbed my video conection and TokBox could no longer find it. I would have never thought of this to be the problem. I thought it might be that I needed to install some software for TokBox. I was glad when we had it solved.
Later on Friday I talked with my professor on Skype. I have never used Skype before. He showed me many different features of Skype. After my session with my professor, he asked me to think of different ways I could incorporate video chat into the classroom. I thought of a few different ways that it could be very helpful. I thought that webcams would be a great ideas to use for mock interviews. When I was interviewing, I had someone to practice with and think about questions that might be asked. However, not everyone has this oportunity. I think it would be a great opportunity to have someone practice the interview process and recieve feedback. This might help many people to become relaxed when they are in the real interview.
I really liked my idea of the interview process. However, I currently teach 5th and 6th grade math. I have been trying to think of ways I could incorporate the webcam into the classroom. I am the teacher that uses the most technology and the students really enjoy it. I would like to find a way to incorporate more.
Crystal - maybe you could have your students interview "corporate" world people about how they use math in their jobs and lives. I don't teach 5/6th grades and I certainly am not a math person, but seeing how people use math in their everyday lives might help them see the relevancy of math overall. Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteOn the group talk thing - I think we all learned a lesson that day on closing out of certain programs before we start others! Darn e-mail!
You could also use a webcam to allow your students to talk to an expert in a different lcoation. It could be a scientist at a univeristy or corporation, or some other profession that regularly uses math. It might be a good way to answer the question "Whay are we taking this? We are never goign to use it?"
ReplyDeleteShowing them examples might help spark their interest.
It certainly was nice to get all of the web cams operational. What would we do without John? In terms of incorporating technology, I thought your interview idea was pretty cool. As a business math teacher, I think I could us your idea toward the end of the year to shake things up. In terms of making something applicable to your 5th and 6th graders, have you considered Geometer's Sketchpad? I don't have the program, but I've heard good things.
ReplyDeleteTokbox is a great tool, how could you pair groups of students to use it?
ReplyDeleteI really like all of the suggestions for how to incorporate a web cam into my math class. I could have a group interview someone in the real world using Tokbox so they can all have an opportunity to talk and work together on interviewing one person.
ReplyDeleteJared - I have never heard of Geometer's Sketchpad. Does your school have it? I would like to look at it if you think it would be fun and helpful to the students.