Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Computer history for Crystal Johnson

    The first computer I remember having in my house was one my Grandpa bought our family.  This was a black Compaq computer.  It only had basic programs on it.  My parents would not let my brother or I put too many things on it in fear of it breaking or running slowly.  I was only about 10 or 12 when we got it.  I did not know much about computers.  I respected them and feared looking at things and downloading anything.  I only went on AIM to talk to friends.  I was only granted 1 hour a night and I always wanted to spend more time talking to friends on AIM.
    After talking with my friend about my first computer, he mentioned something he had as a kid that was like a computer.  It made me think of a small computer like toy that I had.  You could type worlds into it and it would read the word back to you.  My favorite thing to do was type “but” into it.  It would then read back, “This word is but.”  I thought this was the best thing.  I even taught my brother that was 7 years younger than me to do it.  Unfortunately, this is the only memory I have of this toy.
    My first personal computer was given to me for my high school graduation.  I received a laptop.  I used this laptop for a long time.  I used it for writing papers in college.  I also began to use it for music.  I learned how to download music and find different online streaming radio stations.  I quickly became addicted to downloading music and being able to play and listen to what I wanted when I wanted to.  
Today I use the computer at work and home for many different things.  I use it to help keep in touch with parents and let them know what is going on in the class via e-mail.  This is only a small task I use the computer for at work.  I use it for teaching.  Everyday I use my interactive white board to teach math.  I project what we need to show the kids to teach them.  I also am able to write on the board with the software that I have on my computer.  Sometimes I am not sure these days what I would do without my computer.

5 comments:

  1. Crystal---

    I completely agree with you on your point of listening/downloading music online. I love the fact that I can pay a dollar for a song, have it in my itunes, and can listen to it anytime I want. It's a little ridiculous to think that I used to wait for favorite songs to come on the radio, just so I could create a "mixed tape." Also, as a fellow math teacher, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to incorporate technology effectively into the classroom? You seem like you incorporate things on a regular basis, so I'd like to get your views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal,
    Great post! It is interesting to see the type of technology that was available for you growing up--I can relate to your feelings about computers initially being something you respected and feared. When you first get something like that in your house that is so new and somewhat unknown (and expensive), it sometimes takes a while to get past those feelings. I don't think kids feel like that anymore since computers have been in their lives since day one.
    Do your students in your classroom use computers as individuals, or is the technology soley integrated through your interactive whiteboard? I am curious how else you use computers in your math classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In math class, we only use the interactive whiteboard. I let the kids take turns writing on it and it seems to be very exciting to them still. I think I am asked at least 10 times a day, do we get to write on the board today? Sometimes, we might go to the computer lab to play review games online. However in my school, all of the students in all grades take a technology class once a week. Here they are learning how to make flash and other technology types of things I have no idea how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Crystal,

    I too am definitely a music junkie now thanks to the evolution of computers. I bring in my collection to work and I let the kids choose from my itunes what they want to listen to when we do a lab in science. Its great. I have been overly addicted to Pandora now that I can access it on my phone.

    I am assuming that you use a smart board in your class. Have you checked out the smart exchange website (http://www.exchange.smarttech.com/index.html#tab=0)? It is a great place to find new lessons that other teachers have made. Also, have you used the smart response system. I have a set in my class and the kids like it. The nice thing is that it gives you instant feedback on how the kids are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to write a grant for a response system. However, I do not have a smart board. I have a Promethian board. I am not sure if smart exchange will work on my board. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    ReplyDelete