Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How this class applies to my life


I think the easiest way to look at our world and see how things are changing is to think about how much technology we use.  For example, just to do this blog, I used the internet, a computer, and a word processor.
When I was younger, I would not use the computer too much.  Today, I spend most of my time on the computer.  Putting grades online, checking email, or even posting what the homework for the week will be.  Before last week’s homework, I had never been inside of a computer.  I opened the computer and took pictures.  I have heard of a processor, power supply, or other pieces of the computer.  However, I have never been inside to know what they look like or even what they did. 
Now, by knowing what they do, I can see that there are different ways to solve problems in the computer.  For example, one of my friends had a flood.  He saw that certain pieces may have gotten wet.  He was able to replace these one or two different pieces and his computer was fully functioning and working again.   I knew you could build a computer.  However, it never occurred to me that you could replace different pieces.
The things I am learning in the course are helping me to become a person who knows more about technology, especially computers.  My first class introduced me to different ideas and things that are on the web.  This class is helping me to see how to get to these different online resources.
I look forward to the next few things I am going to learn in class.  I have never used any other operating system besides Windows until I got my job 3 years ago.  Then I was introduced to Mac.  I am excited to learn how to successfully setup, configure, and fully understand computers.  I do not think that I am computer dumb, but I do not have much experience with computers.

4 comments:

  1. You sound a lot like me Crystal. I am pretty proficient with computers, but I know I have a lot to learn when it comes to the inner workings of a computer. To answer your comment on my blog, I haven't dusted my desktop yet, because I do not use it that often. I am on my laptop all the time, however, I still am not sure how to clean the inside. Hopefully we will be able to learn how to do that soon. I see that you have only used Windows and Mac Operating System. I just got done looking at one of the alternate operating systems, Ubuntu, it's pretty interesting. A lot of similarities, but also many differences. It is worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Crystal! Personally I look forward to learning all about the components that everyone is researching. I guess we'll see if there is some "perfect" computer out there (I hope it doesn't run on Windows Vista!). I've not used Mac myself and I am a bit hesitant about the Ubuntu alternate operating system assignment. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious to know which operating system you prefer windows or Mac? I have switched over to the Mac side and I don't think that I will switch back.

    It is nice to know that there is more than one product out there for consumers. I think that it will be very interesting to try out Ubuntu. Having different options forces these companies to improve their product and keep consumers interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested to hear how you like Linux. With your background as a mac and windows user you might have some interesting insights.

    Replacing worn or damaged parts is pretty easy but most people break something while doing it.

    ReplyDelete