Saturday, October 30, 2010

How this class applies to my life (#2)

When think of my everyday life, I use technology a lot every day.  I start my day at work by turning on my computer.  It is important for me to use my computer every day.  I use it to take attendance in the morning, put the homework for the week online, and also post grades from homework, tests, or quizzes, as the day goes on.  I also use my computer at work to check e-mail, so I can know what is going on in the building and keep in touch with parents or other teachers.  Lastly, my computer it connected to my interactive white board.  I use this board everyday for all of my classes.  It helps me to teach my students and keep my lessons interactive and keep their attention.
Just reflecting on my day at work, I see how much I use my computer.  In this class, I have learned a lot about the internal workings of my computer.  By knowing about my computer and how it works, I am hoping that by the end of this class, I will be able to successfully setup, configure, and understanding of the technology and tools used in class or everyday life.
I have had very little experience in setup and configuration of my computer hardware or the installation of software on it.  This class is teaching me more then how to install a program on my computer and use it.  I have learned what is inside my computer and how they work.  I also learned that I can replace only certain parts of a computer instead of the whole thing.  Or even that I can sell good parts of a computer and put that money towards buying a new computer.  
However, something I am still hoping to learn is why I can buy a computer and a few months to years later I feel like it is very slow.  I know I have a lot of music on it, but I feel like other people have more and their computer is still faster.  I want to know how to clean out my computer successfully when it is slow or not acting right.  However, as I look ahead it looks like I might be learning this skill.  Otherwise, I am open to suggestions on how to make my computer run faster.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Crystal, I would like to learn more ways to keep computers running fast. That is one of my real pet peeves... I hate slow computers! The computer I have now is just 7 months old, and is very fast, but I would like to keep it that way. My other computer is 7 years old and is as slow as a snail. I'm a lot like you. I don't do much with the computer besides storing music, watching videos and surfing the Internet. I think a big way to keep the computer fast is keeping virus software up to date, which I know I didn't do with my old computer. Hopefully what we learn with the disaster project can help use keep our computers fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of things that might be slowing your computer down Crystal. To help narrow it down some, are there certain actions or programs that seem to be slower than others? For example if the computer is very slow to boot or to start a new up a new program like the web browser, then there may be background programs that are using up resources. In this case you should go to the control panel and uninstall any software that you don't really use. Many computers come with a lot of software that will run in the background, such as checking for updates, although you are not aware of it. Get rid of as much as possible, and only keep the programs you really need and use. If the computer is slow when you are surfing the internet, then it might be that you need a faster network connection. Hopefully these suggestions will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading about all the ways you use a technology everyday I could relate. It's amazing how dependent we are on it, and in many ways how little we know about it (well at least me). While I feel I've learned a lot already, there's still so much more to learn. It would be nice to be able to set up and configure my computer. I usually leave those functions alone for fear of "messing" it up. It seems many of the projects left to do might provide insight on how to do some of these things. As for slow running computers, I don't have any ideas on how to make it faster, though I wonder if some it doesn't have to do with outdated technology. While 7 years doesn't seem that old, in technology it does seem to be. Think about where technology was 7 years ago compared to today.

    ReplyDelete