Thursday, September 23, 2010

The First Few Days of Class

It has only been 3 years since I have graduated from University Wisconsin Milwaukee.  This will not be something too new for me.  However, I am worried about working full time and school full time.  This week is one of those crazy work and personal life type of weeks, so it will make school a bit stressful.  I think once I get in the flow of things, I will be able to do just fine.  I live and work on the north side of Milwaukee.   I teach 5th and 6th grade math for the Maple Dale-Indian Hill School district.  This is the only school district I have worked for.  My first year, I started by teaching 7th and 8th grade math.  Last year and this year I teach 5th and 6th grade math.

I am hoping that by going to Graduate School, I will be able to enhance my lessons with technology.  I already am one of the top technology using teachers at my school. By completing this program, I hope to have more ideas to draw from to spice up my classroom, lessons, and every day life for me or my students with different technologies.  Over the past few years, I have found that the students seems to be more engaged with new technology in the classroom.  I hope that as this program goes on, I will be able to share many things with my students.

So far I have been very excited to learn more about Google Documents.  I have used it before, but very little.  By being forced (in a good way) to use it, I am learning more and more about the efficiency of ease of Google Docs.  Also, I really liked learning about Social Bookmarking.  My boyfriend uses bookmarks, and has his own login to a different type of site.  However, when ever I want one of his, I need to log into his login.  This would prevent that and allow us to share bookmarks.  I also plan to show this to one of my coworkers who teaches 7th and 8th grade math.  We share classroom supplies, ideas, and structure.  It would also be very helpful to share things we find online for math.  It is often hard to find things about math topics we are studying that is appropriate for middle school kids.

All in all, I am super excited to learn so many new things each week that I can share with family, coworkers, and students.  I would love to not have to work and just keep exploring all the new things I have already learned about.

2 comments:

  1. The ability to use any tool and use it well (for instance Google Docs) ensures that you know when it it best used or when you need to select a different tool. I'm glad the tools you are using are useful, how do you think you might introduce them to students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now am using Google Docs to keep a running list of missing assignments my kids have. I then share and print it for the study hall teacher every week when she asks for it. This helps to keep me from nagging the kids for missing homework and let someone else help me. :)

    ReplyDelete