Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Week 6 of 565


  • How has your definition of leadership altered or been reinforced? Your definition of teacher leadership?
Overall, my definition of leadership has only been altered.  I have always seen leadership as someone who is willing to go out on a limb and try something new.  They are also the ones that are on board with change and willing to leave lead the change and guide others to also change.  My vision of leadership has been changed by thinking that even as a teacher in my own classroom, I am a leader.  If I can guide my students to enjoy math and change their opinion on what we are learning, then I am a leader.  I may not be a leader of my coworkers, but I am still a leader in my classroom to many different people each day.


  • Has your opinion of your leadership potential changed?
I think that I have more leadership potential in me then I used to see.  I enjoy doing things and being a part of helping and doing things first.  For example, I am a leader in my own building because I have been looking at the class schedules and looking for a way to better meet the needs of all the students just by adjusting what we teach when.  I took this idea on my own and have been working on it for a few weeks.  I finally found a solution and my administration was ecstatic that I found this.  This makes me a leader.


  • Do you agree with our textbook's assertion about "improving education from within"? If so, what will you do to help?
I think that we improve education all on our own.  What we do in our classroom reflects to how our students view their education.  I know for me that when I am enjoying my day and what I am teaching, it rubs off onto the students.  They too seem to enjoy and like their work.  I have and students tell me “this is fun!”  I might not mean for what I am teaching to be fun, but I enjoy it, so they do too.  I also think that as a teacher, being a part of the building community helps to better the overall education process.

3 comments:

  1. I like your definition of a leader as someone willing to try something new. That is definitely part of the equation, as a leader needs vision. I do think that the second part of the equation is getting others to try your vision, even if it is only a few people. Given how we worked in our study group and in the game, I think you are a leader Crystal, and you should use those talents to get more people to follow your ideas. It was great being on your team. - John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, I couldn't agree with John more. You have tremendous potential as a teacher leader--you are proactive and great at keeping things moving along, which people appreciate when posed with a challenge or an assignment.
    I also agree with your last point related to the textbook's assertion about improving education from within. Happy teachers who feel valued for what they can offer both in and out of the classroom are going to be more invested in their work as educators. That enthusiasm will rub off on the studens and promote student achievement.
    Nice post! one more class to go!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you came up with a tweak to the schedule to "better meet the needs of all the students." That's what we should base all our decision on. The book warns teacher leaders about administrators who may want to take credit for such a great idea, or present it as their own. Has that been your experience? Would it bother you if someone did that?

    ReplyDelete