Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week 1 of 599

For my project, I wanted to try and plan something I can still do this school year.  By doing this, I would be able to implement things I have learned as well as give myself instant feedback on this new idea.  My project is to have the students each create their own teaching moment.  I will be providing the students with a list of topics that we have learned this year in math.  They will be asked to work in groups and make a way to present the topic.  I will then share all of these ideas with students and other students in the future.  It will make a great resource for the future 6th graders to reference as we learn each topic next year.

  • S = Specific - I will be able to control the different topics they choose.  I also am able to narrow in on what they will be working with.  What media types, the topic choices, and even the groups if I wanted to.
  • M = Measurable - As the teacher, I will be able to measure if they have fully mastered the concept from this year.  I will be able to do this because the goal of their project is to make a teaching moment for other students to learn from.
  • A = Attainable - I was able to already block out 3 days for the students to work on this project.  I have also budgeted an extra day or two if needed to finish the work.  I think this goal is very attainable and the students will enjoy working with technology.
  • R = Realistic - Students enjoy doing different projects in math.  Anytime we do a project, the students seem to really get involved.  They enjoy all of the work and doing something different in math.  This makes this goal very realistic.  A way for the students to demonstrate what they have learned this year in a variety of mediums is a great way for each student to be successful.
  • T = Timely - This comes at a great time.  As we are wrapping up the end of the school year, it is a great time to also wrap up all of learning and reflect back on what we have learned.  They students will be given 3 hours of class time and any time they put in at home over the week they have to do the project.

I look forward to this project.  However in the meantime I have a lot of work.  Here is my current timeline plan:

Week 1
  • Plan the whole project
    • Create Rubric
    • Create hand out
    • Create Sample Projects
    • Create Topic list

Week 2 (45 mins/class x 3 classes x 2 days = 5 hours)
  • Share project with students
  • Give them 2 class periods to work on it.

Week 3 (45 mins/class x 3 classes x 3 days = 7 hours)
  • Work on projects for 3 days this week in class.  
  • Project will be due this week.

Week 4
  • Grade students projects
  • Create a website where all of the projects will be on display.
  • Share website with parents.

Week 5
  • Reflect upon the project
  • Make adjustments for next year
  • Add project to portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment