Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 1 of 550

I can relate the examples of online learning to my own experience in the following ways. First, in undergrad I took an online class and I did not enjoy it. I was not motivated enough to get the work done and the class itself was boring. The teacher would upload a PowerPoint of her lecture and our job was to watch it and answer questions. Many times I would look for the answers and be done. It was too dry and boring for me.

Now that I am in this program, I find myself enjoying online learning. I enjoy having the opportunity to learn at my own pace, do my work on my own time, and also guide and choose my own learning that is best for me. For example, I teach math so looking at online opportunities for reading would not help me professionally. Online learning allows me to look at math examples and apply them to my classroom.

These are some problems I had navigating the course management system and utilizing the discussion boards, can you help me with spell check? I am a fast typist and many times can miss a mistake I have made. I typically type something and then catch the typo on a reread through

These are some problems I had navigating the course management system and utilizing the discussion boards, can you help me with posting a paper. I can upload a paper after I have saved it to my desktop. Is there a way to upload from Google Docs?

I can imagine using Elluminate Live! for a web conference in order to help my students with homework. Since I tend to be on the computer a lot or we always have one on, I could share my room with my students. Then when they have a question, they could pop in and ask me. Another idea would be to host small group chats. The students could randomly be assigned to groups and then we could talk together about how class is going or other concerns they have. This would allow them to feel more connected to me and able to ask questions.

I tried something new while working on this module and it made me think that I would really like to try and teach online. I have never considered it a career choice. I love my job, school, and position now. However, I have a lot of curiosity about online schooling. I want to sit on the teachers side and drive the wheel to see how it is really done. All the preparing, student work, and individual attention you would need to spend.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying online classes now. I agree with what you have said. I had online classes in undergrad and was not really connected to the material. I too am enjoying these classes better.

    I might be able to help you with the document submissions for the class. I used google docs for all of the assignments. After you create your document share it with anyone who has the link. I allowed users to comment on the doc but not edit. When you post your response just copy and paste the link to your google doc.

    I too am interested in trying to start teaching online. I will probably start with blended learning (online but also in class). Do you think you will approach your administration to ask about doing something like this at your school?

    ReplyDelete