I would like to use my Blog as a journal about what I have learned so I can reflect when I need to at the end of this whole process and program.
This week we did a variety of things. First, we looked at a quote about the Internet. This quote really stood out to me as an important perspective. The quote read “Predominantly, the content of the Net is information and opinion; what tends to be in shorter supply are specific learning activities that make use of this wealth. So the bottom line stands: the Internet is an embarrassment of riches that is next to worthless without an educator (You!) to facilitate learning and integration in your classrooms.” Tom March.
My eyes have also been opened to Google alerts. I can use this to alert me about topics I really want and need to know about. For example, the Governor currently is talking about changing our government and unions. This would be an important thing for me. I think Google alerts will help me to stay on top of the latest and greatest information. I know this can help a little in my classroom, but I think it will be a nice and good thing to have in my life.
The article about Wikipedia also opened my eyes to new perspectives and other ways Wikipedia can be used in the classroom. I never thought to use it as a learning tool to help my students create a pieces of history about their town, like on teacher did. http://www.pbs.org/teachers/learning.now/2006/07/wikipedia_in_the_classroom_con.html
Lastly, we looked at the Noodle Tool. This is a website where you can narrow down where and what kind of information you need or want. You can use this to help find a search engine that will help you to find what information you need. I have never seen this before and I think it will be helpful to me in the future. http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/information/5locate/adviceengine.html
No comments:
Post a Comment