This week we finished our text book, created technology goals for our own classroom, watched a video, and created a website. The textbook has been a great resource to have when it gave examples of a lesson. I like having an example to put into place what I am reading.
Thinking about making technology goals was harder for me. I know what I want to implement into my classroom, but I struggled with how to assess my learning. I am able to reflect and see my assessment. However, my assessment would not be a concrete example of what I have learned. I would also like to find a way to create a classroom of differentiated lessons that include technology. This is harder to do. Overall, I think I will be more successful with guidance from others and examples I can reflect upon.
The most valuable thing I found this week was the opportunity to create a website for my classroom. I already have an online grade book where the students and parents can see their grade on an individual assignment, the class as a whole, and the homework for the whole week. Anything beyond this, I typically e-mail the parents as needed. I would like to create a website where they can look at a calendar of upcoming tests, quizzes, or other important dates. I also would like to post some answer keys to study guides here for students and parents in case the leave theirs as school the night before a test. I plan to create my own with my own google e-mail and then link that e-mail for school purposes too. This will take sometime to spread the word to all the students and parents. However, I think it will be a great tool for the parents to use and reference. I look forward to implementing this.
Crystal, I think the parents of your students are really going to like having access to a website that keeps them connected to what their kids are doing in your classroom. As a parent, I don't have a lot of time to check out my son's class blog, but when I do it is great to see pictures of the kids doing their work and to hear from their teacher about current projects--that way I know what he's talking about when he comes home all fired up about something he learned in school. I think for middle school students, it will be a great way to hold them even more accountable for assigments if everything is posted an accessible online.
ReplyDeleteAs far as assessment for you TLP goals go, one thing I saw on someone else's post was that they make notes about what worked/didn't work that day (technology related) so they could revise for the next time. Other people suggested keeping a blog or a journal. I think as long as you pick something that works for you (that you know you will maintain)--it's more about being able to reflect on what you're doing to assess effectiveness. Good luck! (Have fun at the game today!)
You're right, making a website for a class does take a long time if you want to do it right, but I think it's worth it. Once you get it up and running, and you show the students that it is there and what they can do with it, then you are able to start doing fun things with it that really allow you to show both assignments and worthwhile class materials, but also some things that can show them a little bit more about who you are; and that can make them a bit more interested in going online and doing work.
ReplyDelete