Sunday, January 16, 2011

InTime Video


I currently teach middle school math.  I looked at the video: http://www.intime.uni.edu/video/062iams/0/  In this video and lesson, it works with calculating percentages and apply them to the real world.  On this site, you can read about the lesson.  It includes the lesson purpose, objectives, a description, activities, and assessment.  If you are confused by parts of it, there is a video to go with the lesson to help you see the lesson.  
In this lesson, it is geared towards 6th grade math.  In this lesson, students use technology to study percentages, apply them to real life situations, and display the information.  They do this through looking at professional basketball.  The students have a discussion about shooting percentages of the pros versus that of the students. Students will engage in centers set up around the room and in the gym that will help them compare their shooting percentage with that of the pros. One center will take place in the gym where the students will shoot free throws and field goals. Another center will use the Internet to gather information on professional basketball shooting percentages. In a third center, students will calculate their percentages. Students will build a spreadsheet using Excel and display their information in graph form in the fourth center. After completing all centers, students will write a letter to their favorite pro team explaining how their shooting compares. They will e-mail this letter to the team along with their graphs.
I think this lesson is a great way to incorporates real life and technology into the classroom.  For example, the students look at real statistics instead of made up one from a book.  The students also get to pick a player of their choice.  This gives the students options and the room for creativity of their own.  In this lesson, they also get to use a variety of technologies.  For example, they use spreadsheets, the Internet, and e-mail.  This does not limit their exposure to creativity.  I would like to try this lesson with some modifications.  However, it would take some collaboration with other teachers including the gym teacher.  This would help the students to see that math is everywhere in life.
One drawback from this website it the limited number of lessons shared.  For example, when I looked up the content area of math, there were only 2 lessons for 5th or 6th grade.  I was disappointed by the lack of information and options.  I want to know how this kind of a database could be expanded and have others include their works.  I think many of us teachers have many things to contribute and share with one another to help make all of our lessons and teaching more diverse.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunatly or not, some of today's students have to have a vested interest in the work that they are doing. I am not a "busy work" type teacher, but sometimes students just have to do problems for the sake of the process. I agree this is a good lesson, because the students get to use real information and it woould be fun for the students. Except those-like me-who are bad at any sport. I agree that there was a limited amount of lessons. The web site is sponsered by the Dept. Of Education,Renaissance Group, and the University of Northern Iowa. Maybe it is a relatively new site. The problem with all sites is someone has to maintain them and support them and keep adding information and that takes lots of time and money. I get so frustrated when following links that are no longer there, and you find that on some pretty high profile site. But, yes this is a useful site.

    ReplyDelete