Sunday, December 12, 2010

515 Begins!


This week in class we had to read two chapters and do two different projects.  When it came to the readings, for chapter 1, we had to take quizzes and answer questions.  I enjoyed the quizzes because they made me pay more attention to what I was reading.  Some of the questions asked about the chapter as a whole and made me think about it more.  Answering the questions in the book was a bit more difficult.  Some of them seemed to be more of opinions and foreshadowing for the rest of the chapter or book.

The two projects we had to do this week was exploring different graphics programs and different presentation programs.  This week I made a powerpoint on tessellations.  When I tried to use 280 slides, I found it very frustrating.  I uploaded my powerpoint into 280 slides.  I then had to move title slides to fit and not be blocked by graphics.  I also had to slecet a new background.  When I did this, it would freeze the script on the page.  This frustrated me.  I decided to go back to working with slideboom.  I liked that Slideboom did not freeze my computer.  However, I was not able to edit my presentation on Slideboom.  I can only edit the description.

Although I was a bit frustrated with the presentation project, I really enjoyed the graphics program.  I had 2 friends over while I was working on it.  They kept saying, are you sure this is homework?  I enjoyed playing with the face in the hole.  I found it very entertaining to put people’s faces on obscure bodies.  I also liked creating and playing with the different drawing programs.  In the end, I settled on a program that gave me a large variety of clip art to use.  I am not the best artist.

I think both the presentation program and graphics projects can be used in my own classroom.  At the end of the year, I have the students do a final project.  For this project, they could make a powerpoint using one of the programs we used or they could make a cartoon.  I already have cartoon as an option for their final project.  I just did not think about doing it through an online website.

2 comments:

  1. Crystal - you crack me up! I had fun with the graphics programs, too, though I didn't turn in any of my "faces" in the hole. I like your idea for a cartoon as a final project - and now it can be done online!

    Hope that all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your frustration with the presentation project. I am very familiar with PowerPoint so I kept looking for familiar buttons and options that just weren't there. I tried using PreZentit but after spending a lot of time creating a presentation, I realized that I was only using the demo version and I couldn't save my work. I did end up using 280Slides but I was disappointed with the lack of features.
    I'm curious about how you will incorporate the graphics activity in your math class. Math is tough so I supposed anything you can do to make it more accessible to students is welcome. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete