Sunday, December 19, 2010
Second Week of 515
This week we had to do a few different things with web searches. First, we had to look at many common mistakes we are making every day. For example, I do not use Boolean. If I used this, I would be able to narrow down my searches to things I am specifically looking for. The terms AND, OR, NOT, AND NOT, would help me to only get what I want to look for. I also use capitol letters in my searches. I might get more results if I did not use capitol letters in my searches. When you use lower case letters, you can get both results for capitol and lowercase words.
We also had to play with different online word processes programs. I thought that two of them looked a lot like other programs I already use. This includes programs like Microsoft word and Google Docs. I thought these were nice programs and it was easy for me to figure them out since I have worked with Microsoft Word and Google Docs in the past.
I think there are many uses for online word processing in my school. One nice thing is that you do not need to worry about what version of a program you have at home and what they have at school. My using an online program, you can work on your document, save it, and know that when you come back to it, it should work properly. The only problem you should now have is internet access and if the website is working or not. Another nice thing about online word processing documents is the ability to not have to print to share with others. You can share it with them though the share setting. I think this would be a good thing for me to use when my students are doing their monthly writing. If they share it with me, I can help them edit it in the classroom instead of needing to go to a computer lab so they can show me. I can also grade their homework and leave comments on it right on the internet. This will save paper and money in the long run. The problem at my school is access to the computer lab. We have 2 labs available, but they are hard to sign out and be able to use all the time. Overall, I think there are many positive things that online word processing has that the tradition word processing cannot, or at least has not yet, offered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that there are a lot of positive benefits to using online word processing. You do always have the most up to date version of the program and it is accessible anywhere. I know for me I have a lot of documents saved to my "Q" drive from school which I can only access from computers that are on my network at school. I think the collaboration opportunities between students is the biggest benefit. Students can easilly share their work with each other and the teacher. The biggest hinderance would be access to the internet for students, whether it be students not having access outside of school or not having enough resources withing the school.
ReplyDeleteI love the ablitiy to share documents. I do have some students who don't have internet at home. We do have two computers in our classroom and the students do have lab time 3 times a week. I would need to make sure the students that need the computer time get that time.
ReplyDelete