Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Final class.... the end!

While reading all of my blog entries, it brought back some laughs and some frustrations.  It also brought back a lot of memories of what I have learned over the past two years.  Overall, I would say that this program has been rewarding.  I have gained many new skills and learned about a variety of things in the world that I did not know existed before.  Some of these things have began to benefit me already more than I expected.  As soon as I learned about many new skills I put them to use.  For example, I have been using Google Docs for so long in my classroom.  I use it to keep track of what I have missing for my students.  I then have this document shared with other teachers so they can reference it.  The study hall teacher can go to one place to see what my students have missing and then remind them to get things done for me.  This has worked very well for my students to be able to stay more up to date.  

Also, when looking at all my entries I can see some of the stressful places.  For example, the time we had to take a computer apart and identify things was hard for me.  This was my first time ever taking apart a computer and looking inside.  This took a lot of help from my boyfriend.  He works with computers and I needed a lot of his assistance to help me see what was what and how it all worked.  Another class that caused me a bit of stress was the statistics class.  This class was a bit easier with the support of my group.  As a group we worked hard to support each other and get everything done properly.  With my group, things seems so much better.  I am still not exactly sure how the statistics class fit into any other part of the course work.

Finally, for the last class, we put together everything that we have been learning over the entire program.  For my project, I wanted to try and plan something I can still do this school year.  By doing this, I would be able to implement things I have learned as well as give myself instant feedback on this new idea.  My project is to have the students each create their own teaching moment.  I will be providing the students with a list of topics that we have learned this year in math.  They will be asked to work in groups and make a way to present the topic.  The kids got to use toon doo and prezi to help create their projects.  I took what I have learned in this program and passes it onto my students and their learning.  I was excited to have this opportunity and to watch them learn and give me feedback on what they were learning from me.

2 comments:

  1. Funny - the 2 areas your mentioned that you struggled with the most were the ones I found easiest. I struggled more with the teaching-related projects like lesson plans, standards, rubrics, etc.
    Like you, I found many valuable aspects of this program and relied on support from people like you in my small groups. I will always be grateful for that.
    Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were challenged and found strategies and ideas that you could bring to your teaching. Best of luck for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete