Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week 2 of 555

This week things seem to really pick up. We needed to make a rough draft (or outline) of our portfolio. Sounds like it could be an easy task. However it was very time consuming. It took me two whole evenings to make a general outline. It is still not as specific as I would like it to be, but until I know what I all need in my portfolio, it will have to be a bit bare. I know that right now this might have been very time consuming, but I foresee it being a time saver when we really get going. Instead of having to make each page, we will have the page set up and just need to input the information.

The other thing we had to do this week was to create a mission and a vision statement. I am really struggling with this. I know where I think I want my classroom and teaching career to be. However, I am not 100% sure of that. I think what I need to do is work backwards. Decide where I want to be, how to get there, and then try to make a statement. I also think I would like to see some of my peers examples. Either people who have graduated before me or those who are in my own cohort. I think this would help me to see what it all should look like more.

5 comments:

  1. I agree Crystal, this is a really hard assignment. It is difficult to make a couple of sentences capture so much of our thoughts and plans. One technique I have been using is the old game of "Ask Why 6 times", and then write down my answers. By distilling the results you can get pretty close to a Vision and Mission. For example:
    Why did I become a teacher? Because I love kids.
    Why do I love kids? Because they have so much potential and are so curious.
    Why am I interested in their potential? Because they can change the world.

    This could be a Vision like: My goal is to change the world by igniting the curiosity of children and helping them grow into their full potential.

    A little over the top, but hopefully you get the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, John, that is a great strategy to begin developing a vision statement! Wow! I am struggling with this as well and will try this approach. Thanks for the idea~
    Crystal, I would agree that seeing examples to help get the process stared is a good idea. I think you will find that regardless of what sparks the process for you, in the end will be a wonderful reflection of you as a math teacher and all that you bring to the table. We are all a little stressed out (probably because we are a group of over-achievers! lol) but I have no doubt it will all come together. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal---

      I thought it was very insightful how you pointed out that the outline will make our work easier in the long run. I wanted to let you know that I too was struggling with the mission and vision statement in the beginning. However, once I asked myself, "What do you want to pass on to your students?", the general ideas came pretty quickly. Once I finally get my website completed, feel encouraged to take a look at my examples!

      Delete
  3. I felt that thinking of the vision and mission statement was also difficult to do. To make it easier, I spent time going through pages I found online. However, many of these were for businesses, so I was finding myself taking parts of those statements and transforming it into something I can use as a teacher. It just takes a lot of brainstorming, but when it is all put together, I think we will all have really good statements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that all of this is difficult to process, but it is definitely nice that we are breaking it down and that it is part of a class and not something we are stuck doing on our own. It has been very beneficial to have the guidance and collaboration. Post a link to you portfolio when you get a chance. I would love to see another example.

    ReplyDelete