Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week 1 of 565

This week we focused a lot on what leadership is, how to be a good leader, and what qualities we already have that leaders possess.

The first thing we had to do was take a survey. When doing this profile, I acted like I was my current leader and principle. This was a lengthy survey and took me a long time to complete. It also took me a lot of thinking and analyzing to decide what the right answer to some questions would be. When I finished the survey, it took me a minute to completely understand exactly how to read the final results. However, once I figured it out, I think this would be a wonderful tool for a principle and leader. This gives the leader a chance to assess how they are doing. It also shows them where they need to focus more of their efforts and time in the future. As a leader I think it is always important to reevaluate what you are doing and self assess yourself. As a leader you do not have many people assessing you and giving you feedback. You need to be a self assessor and drive yourself to continue to grow and lead your team to grow as well.

For the Leadership Virtues Assessment I scored highest in Empathy and Enthusiasm. My lowest scores were in Judgement and Humility. Looking at these, I completely agree that I am empathetic and that I do have a lot of enthusiasm for my job. I understand my students and where they are coming from. I also listen to my students when they need someone to talk to and trust when they need someone. I enjoy going to my job and do not like to miss any days. I try to always be enthusiastic and keep my students engaged in what we are learning. As far as judgement and humility, I hate to be the different one. Sometimes I can tend to believe that I am wrong when I am alone in my stance. I would like to be able to stand up for myself and trust in myself more on my beliefs.

In the future I would like to consider potential leadership opportunities. I would like to consider being a principle, or technology leader, or some other leader in the school setting. When first considering what I wanted to do for my masters, I did consider and look into administration. However, I decided at this time I wanted to further my education and work on the education classroom still. I am glad I have this class to show me the other side of my future too.

2 comments:

  1. I am not surprised that you scored high in Enthusiasm, as you have always been very engaged in all of our class activities. As for the judgement and humility, one of the best ways to cultivate them is to just ask lots of questions. When you get with a group that you are trying to lead, just keep asking questions about what they think and why they feel that way. It will show your team that you care about what they think, and it will give you a chance to hear some different perspectives. By taking the time to listen, you can show both of those qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately you are young enough to consider another masters in administration at some point. Most people think it is important for administrators to have a significant amount of classroom experience in order to be respected by the teaching staff (like the author of our text Mr. Gabriel). I don't necessarily agree with that but I would be interested to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete